• Announcements

• Alistair S

Collaboration Contest Scoring   18/04/18

Some great songs in the Collab Contest! Please see Other Contests and let me have your scores (instructions in the thread) by 28 April!    

2 hours ago, Onewholovesrock said:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/R16--zoom-r16

This has been on my radar as of late. The couple things that held me back were 1. I’m not sure my current laptop is up to snuff. 2. It’s been out for a good while already. Hoping a newer version would come out. 

That could be a cool starter kit of sorts. Or much more than a starter kit, if the pres are good and all. And it comes with Cubase LE. I hear great things about Cubase -- it sounds like the #2 pro choice for Windows systems, right behind Pro Tools. And I think Steinburg/Cubase were the guys who invented VSTi's? Hopefully the LE version isn't too LE, although that probably doesn't matter for you, at least for now. :) 

I don't miss an interface anymore because I use an external trackpad. It responds very well to touch. But if I didn't have that trackpad, I'd probably want an interface. This one is surprisingly cheap. 

Regarding your laptop specs, did you check them with the reqs on the unit? Do remember, however, that they tend to list only the bare minimum. Still, as long as you don't have TOO many tracks with FX layered, there's a good chance it'll be alright. And if it doesn't, I think Sweetwater has a 10 day? 2 week? return policy. Be sure to check that, as well. 

12 hours ago, Short Order Kook said:

I took the plunge and bought the presonus audio box iTwo.  It came in the mail yesterday.  The DAW has so many features it's making my head spin...

That reminds me: Read the manuals!! They teach you just about everything you need to know. However, it's generally too much to take in at once, so I suggest just reading the part for whatever you are trying to do at the moment. Read the section you need, then get to work. When you want to do something else, read that section. Sometimes you don't know what section to read, so look online to figure out how to do what you want (there might be multiple ways), and then read those sections (with the DAW open) to learn it better. 

Oh, and if by chance there are tutorials that come with the software, yeah, hit those up, too. 

And have fun! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Moso said:

Oh, and if by chance there are tutorials that come with the software, yeah, hit those up, too. 

Youtube, Youtube, Youtube.  

I don't think I've ever encountered a problem that someone hadn't already posted a tutorial on.  The only times I've come up empty were when I was so oblivious that I didn't know how to word the search.  :)

• Like 1

Been trying to reply to this thread all week, but the 'reply' just wasn't working for me.  This is a test!

Ok, seems to be working now -running an older version of IE (on work computer).

Stand-alone recorders like the Zoom R16 are good to get your feet wet with digital recording, and depending on your needs may be all you ever need.  Looking back, I see how difficult and compromising it was for me using a Boss BR600 recorder compared to a full-featured DAW.

I use Reaper on a Win7 computer with 6G RAM (yes, that's all), and the speed is 3.something, dual-core.   I run plenty of instances of VSTis and reverbs and never had any issues due to that.  Obviously, audio interface driver compatibility (and issues) is important.  My Tascam has never given me issues that way, but every once in a while I'll get a freeze up requiring re-booting the DAW and turning off/on the interface.

1 minute ago, Mike B said:

Been trying to reply to this thread all week, but the 'reply' just wasn't working for me.  This is a test!

You passed! Congratulations!

3.x dual core is a good processor. 6GB RAM is a little weird, at least to me, being that RAM is so cheap and so beneficial. Also because it comes in even-numbered GB sticks, and my systems usually run it in parallel. 

2 hours ago, Mike B said:

Stand-alone recorders like the Zoom R16 are good to get your feet wet with digital recording, and depending on your needs may be all you ever need.  

I’ve gotten my feet wet. Recorded a bunch of songs on my Korg D3200. My later songs were starting to sound pretty good. Especially for someone that isn’t really into tech things. But I retired that recorder. It was a pain to share files and go back and forth with a computer. Probably not so much the units fault as in my fault not figuring it out. I used the built in CD burner for all that. The CD burner was also starting to fail. 

I did a bit of research on the focusrite 2i4. Maybe it wouldn’t be too much of an issue setting up the correct drivers in my laptop. Windows 7. I would still need to check specs to see if my computer has the needed power. 

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 16:08, Moso said:

3.x dual core is a good processor. 6GB RAM is a little weird, at least to me, being that RAM is so cheap and so beneficial. Also because it comes in even-numbered GB sticks, and my systems usually run it in parallel. 

I know, but 6G is what it came with!  My Win10 machine has 8G, but I'm hoping to keep the recording-only going for some time, as it does all I need.  I was starting to have issues with it because the 1T hard drive was over 80% full, so I deleted/moved all the video file sthat were filliing it up, and since I got it down to 45% full, no problems.

• Like 1

On 2018-04-11 at 03:08, Moso said:

But... I don't know, I can't do everything. I had a cool run with guitar and music, but it's not as important as it used to be.

Now why can't I accept a similar approach?!?! ;) That's good for you Moso!

For me it's the exact opposite, well, I'm not saying it gets more important, not at all in fact, but I do have to admit I get more and more into the art of song crafting as the years go by, just by sheer love of the whole process. Writing/Recording etc. It's just boiling inside of me as it always have, now it's more than ever. Sigh. Any day now, perhaps even I shall be released. :P