Sign in to follow this  
webspinner

How best to update a thread?

I posted a song in November... now I've made the changes I want and want to repost it.

It's significantly revised (whatever that means :-) ).

Do I reply at the bottom of the thread? Edit my original post? I doubt I should start

a new one.

Thx!

Rick

I would start a new thread but in the subject title add 're-write' - just so anyone who saw it before knows it's a new one.

I would start a new thread but in the subject title add 're-write' - just so anyone who saw it before knows it's a new one.

Will Do. Thanks!

Only thing is…………if people see the original thread and don’t know there is a new re-write thread, they may still comment on the original. Below is from the lyric posting rules at the top of that page:

“6) If you revise the lyric, please give a date and post on the same thread, or folks will unknowingly still comment on the old one.”

Yes, fair point. So, along with the re-write thread it would be helpful if the original thread had an update line at the start so folk don't waste time on that version only to find out later that there is a re-write. Also it would make sense to close the original thread.

That brings up a question that I have wondered. Why not allow an edit of the original post title? I have had this same issue and always wondered why I couldn't put "rewrite" and the date below it. Just seems to make a lot of sense to me but there must be a good reason why we can't do that???

You can, Ricky.

However, to do so you have to go into "Full Editor" mode .. the button next to the "Save Changes" button below the edit box.