Sign in to follow this  
DannyDep

Incomplete Error Messages

I was replying to a topic when this message came up.

You have posted more than the allowed number of quoted blocks of text

Now the software has obviously set a limit on the allowed number of quoted blocks allowed in a reply.

Since the software knows this number, don't you think it would be nice for it to tell us just how many blocks is allowed

so that we don't have to remove one and find the error message is still there when we try to post or preview our reply the next time,

or until we get down to the allowable number? :angry:

This certainly can't be a big change to the program can it?

i'm sure there are other errors where a limit has been set. It would be nice to know all of the limits the first time that we make the mistake.

thank you. :)

I don't think that has ever been an issue for any one else, not even sure what other limits might be in force for that matter.

Personally for myself, and as an courtesy to everyone else, I wouldn't use more then a couple blocks at a time, maybe three at the most, of course when you add in 13 -14 quote blocks for a single reply post. well I think that's just getting obnoxious, though that's just my opinion.

I ran into this once before and found it very frustrating. As it's probably not a very common thing, I don't foresee Jodi changing the software. Do you remember how many quote blocks it finally allowed? It would good to know.

I almost forgot that I posted this.

I ran into this once before and found it very frustrating.

I agree Jonie, it is frustrating.
As it's probably not a very common thing, I don't foresee Jodi changing the software. Do you remember how many quote blocks it finally allowed? It would good to know.

I'm not sure what you mean by Jodi having to change the software.

This is a simple (not even one line fix) to the existing software, assuming it's properly coded in the first place.

All that would have to be done is in the formating of the error message, to include the variable at the end of the error text.

You have posted more than the allowed number of quoted blocks of text nn

where nn is the actual number allowed.

I believe the number of quotes allowed is 10.

This also comes up with the allowed number of emoticons that are allowed in a post.

I have no idea how many that is. :huh:

I almost forgot that I posted this.

I ran into this once before and found it very frustrating.

I agree Jonie, it is frustrating.
As it's probably not a very common thing, I don't foresee Jodi changing the software. Do you remember how many quote blocks it finally allowed? It would good to know.

I'm not sure what you mean by Jodi having to change the software.

This is a simple (not even one line fix) to the existing software, assuming it's properly coded in the first place.

All that would have to be done is in the formating of the error message, to include the variable at the end of the error text.

You have posted more than the allowed number of quoted blocks of text nn

where nn is the actual number allowed.

I believe the number of quotes allowed is 10.

This also comes up with the allowed number of emoticons that are allowed in a post.

I have no idea how many that is. :huh:

As moderators, we can't change the software. It would fall to the site administrator (owner) Jodi Krangle, to fix it. She's very good about getting back to members so if I were you, I'd drop her a PM.

As moderators, we can't change the software. It would fall to the site administrator (owner) Jodi Krangle, to fix it. She's very good about getting back to members so if I were you, I'd drop her a PM.

Thx Jonie,

Even a simple list of these variables in the Guidlines post, for instance, would go a long way. :)

Danny,

I'll PM Jodi to get some clarification on what the limits are and post them up in the appropriate place.

I think it's useful information to know.

Thank you for bringing it to our attention. :)

Danny,

I'll PM Jodi to get some clarification on what the limits are and post them up in the appropriate place.

I think it's useful information to know.

Thank you for bringing it to our attention. :)

Hi Jonie,

FYI, I just received a reply from Jodi and mentioned that there would not need to be any coding changes if at the very least we had the list of variable that we could post for everyone to know about.

thx,

ciao, Dan

She's working on finding out what those variables are, Dan.

I'll let you know when I hear something and post it up (probably right in this "How this place works" forum)

Ciao back,

jonie

She's working on finding out what those variables are, Dan.

I'll let you know when I hear something and post it up (probably right in this "How this place works" forum)

Ciao back,

jonie

Thanks Jonie, :)

i see it there now.

Much appreciation to you and Jodi.

ciao, Dan