Welcome to Muse Songwriters Message Board

Register now to gain access to all of our features. 

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Punklol160

Help with verse chords

So I've got the chorus progression:

E E(drop root half step) A Am

but i cant figure out a verse progression to go with it... :(

Any ideas?

So are you saying this: E E/Eb A Am... as in, the second chord is an E with an Eb bass?

If you're in the key of E, you have dozens of chord choices. The obvious ones are A, B, F#m, G#m, C#m.

Usually your melody dictates the chord choices.

Neal

So are you saying this: E E/Eb A Am... as in, the second chord is an E with an Eb bass?

If you're in the key of E, you have dozens of chord choices. The obvious ones are A, B, F#m, G#m, C#m.

Usually your melody dictates the chord choices.

Neal

Neal,

Yes. E E/Eb A Am (key of E too) and I know all of the chords in e but i cant seem to find which ones fit well with the chorus.

You are probably not playing E/Eb. You are probably playing an inverted G#m. Or you could be playing an EM7, but probably G#m. Going from A to Am would be kind of bluesy. Is that the effect you are going for?

That chord change feels unresolved to me. Especially going from A to Am. Is that your complete chorus?

but i cant figure out a verse progression to go with it... :(

Any ideas?

So what else have you got? Melody? Lyrics? Groove? Concept? Anything? Or are you simply trying to come up with a chord progression that might suggest some of these other elements?

Usually you find the melody in the chords you choose, or you come up with a melody and then find chords to support it. When you say you can't find chords to "fit the chorus", are you saying that you already have a melody and you just can't find the right chords. If so, it might be helpful to post a sample of you singing the melody acapella.

Neal

First, to finish your chorus, I would make the next 2 chords B & B7 resolving back to E. Listen to your bass line. I think you are hearing E D#, C#, C. Then if you add these 2 chords, the bass continues down to B, A and back up to E. That is a more natural progression, unless you have a solid chorus that fits your progression ending at A. Play this suggested bass line along with the chords and I think you will find it fits even though most of the notes are not the root of the chords you are playing.

Once that is done, any I IV V combination will fit a likely verse or reuse the E, G#m, A, Am, B, B7 progression by creating a counter-melody to use on the verse.