Welcome to Muse Songwriters Message Board

Register now to gain access to all of our features. 

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

NigeQ

Finals - 2010 Song Of The Year

Welcome to the 2010 Song Of The Year Finals :)

Please note there are 2 Song Of The Year competitions one for Open Format (i.e. no production restrictions) and one for 1+1 Songs (one vocal, one instrument). I will be running the Open Format comp and bubblingsoul will be running the 1+1 comp. Please read the voting instructions carefully.

Nige :)

Song Of The Year (Open Format)

There are 12 songs in this competition, they all qualified from one of the monthly competitions

11 of the songs can be heard here at Musesmuse Song Of the Year 2010 - use links in Song Of The Year thread for any songs not on the station

To be eligible to score you must have been a member of Musesmuse prior to 1st dec 2010 and have a minimum of 25 posts.

How to vote:

Each voter has 6 points to award, but no single song can receive more than 3 points.

So for example, you can award your favourite song 3 points, second favourite 2 points and third favourite 1 point (total 6 points). Alternatively you may want to award 6 songs 1 point each.

All the combinations below are valid:

3 2 1

3 3

3 1 1 1

2 2 2

2 2 1 1

2 1 1 1 1

1 1 1 1 1 1

If a scorecard contains a score not one of the above combinations it will be deemed invalid.

Contestants are not allowed to vote in this competition

Please send your scores to me (NigeQ) via PM and put “Song Comp Votes” in the subject. You should receive confirmation within 24 hours or at least by the time scoring closes.

The songs are:

On Common Ground - Zeek

Not My Time - lyD

It All Adds Up - RLD/John Paragreen

Tumble Weed - Neal K

First Time Love - Zeek

Chasing Clocks - DaveGerard

Little Bit Me - Zeek

Love Letters And Whispered Dreams - FunkDaddy

A Kiss-Me Shade Of Red - DonnaMarilyn

On My Way - Jason Kalman

One Last Chance To Shine - Alistair S

With You - lyD

You have until Sat 22nd Jan to get your votes in. I will post the results the next day

(there will be another post for the 1+1 comp)

… the joint winners of

Song of the Year (Open Format) 2010

.........are

Love Letters And Whispered Dreams

written by FunkDaddy

…….and

One Last Chance To Shine

written by Alistair S

3rd - It All Adds Up

written by RLD/John Paragreen

24 scorecards(all non-contestant):

NigeQ, kimberlyinnc, Len, Zeligovitch, daddio, R.P.G., graybeard, Dottie, Salley Gardens, stewart Alexander, Simple Simon, smile, bubblingsoul, jonie, RKG, starsinmyeyes, Thinman, The Eggmen, skingswell, Bruce N, jimski23, surfer, SatanInventedBras & Paddy O'Furniture

23.0 Love Letters And Whispered Dreams - FunkDaddy

1.0 2.0 3.0 3.0 2.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 2.0 3.0 2.0 2.0

23.0 One Last Chance To Shine - Alistair S

1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 3.0 2.0 2.0 3.0 1.0 3.0 2.0 2.0 1.0

15.0 It All Adds Up - RLD/John Paragreen

3.0 1.0 2.0 2.0 1.0 2.0 2.0 2.0

13.0 With You - lyD

1.0 1.0 1.0 2.0 1.0 3.0 2.0 2.0

12.0 Tumble Weed - Neal K

1.0 2.0 3.0 1.0 3.0 2.0

11.0 Not My Time - lyD

2.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 2.0 2.0

11.0 Chasing Clocks - DaveGerard

1.0 2.0 2.0 2.0 2.0 2.0

9.0 First Time Love - Zeek

3.0 2.0 2.0 2.0

9.0 A Kiss-Me Shade Of Red - DonnaMarilyn

1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 2.0 2.0

8.0 On My Way - Jason Kalman

2.0 3.0 1.0 1.0 1.0

6.0 Little Bit Me - Zeek

1.0 2.0 1.0 2.0

4.0 On Common Ground - Zeek

3.0 1.0

I'm floored by this, to be honest. There were so many good songs and I gave myself no chance (to shine) in this crowd.

If I could have voted, I would have voted for Dave Gerard (though there were plenty of others I liked very much, too).

:D

I honestly was expecting John and RLD to take this one. Excellently written, performed and recorded. Also really liked DaveGerard's tune as I'm a fan of his.

Thanks to everyone who voted (nice long list of voters!) and to Nige for tallying it all!

Congratualtions, Mark, Alistair, Rod and John!

The Songs of the Year Contests are the hardest to score, as all of the cream has risen to the top already.

My top score actually reflected (half) the winning entry this time... I loved it, Mark!(But, then, you already knew that ;) ) I also scored With You, and Not My Time by LYD. I guess LYD has found a new fan, since I scored Alone, from the 1+1 Song of the Year Contest as one of my favs, too.

What a wonderful bunch of songs!

congrats Mark great song

and double congrats Alistair,two song of the year wins, you'll be buying the first round eh,

I'm chuffed we sneaked into third,

well done Nige,

all the best,john

Mucho congrats to :)

Love Letters And Whispered Dreams

written by FunkDaddy

……and

One Last Chance To Shine

written by Alistair S

3rd - It All Adds Up ---wouldn't this be 2nd instead of 3rd, since the first two were tied for 1st? Just wondered... :P

written by RLD/John Paragreen

My Favorite pick of the bunch was

On My Way- By Jason

with ties for 2nd

Chances-Alistair

Kiss Me Shade of Red- Donna

With You- David

and

Chasing Clocks....Dave

Some really good songs this year as this is why on this particular one I split up many of my votes...

Kimberly

I would like to offer my own congratulations to Alistair and Mark for coming out on top of this very fine selection of songs. I would offer a crumb of comfort to lyD and Zeek, I think they are victims of their own success. It's always a problem when an artist has more than one song in a final; the vote tends to get split.

Obviously it was very hard to choose in this comp but my personal top 3 were First Time Love, Not My Time and Tumble Weed

Special thanks to all the voters :)

congrats to the winners. I had It All Adds Up at the top of my card.

All in all, a great bunch of songs.

And thanks Nige, for the hard work that made it all possible.

Congrats to the winners, and especially to Alistair for a clean sweep... and Funk, you used to say that you never did well in these contests. Time to hang that excuse back in the cupboard, excellent results sir.

Zeek's On Common Ground was my standout and I agree with Nige, your vote was surely split. I also had warm fuzzy feelings for LyD (Not my time), Zeek again (Little Bit of Me) and Alistair.

And Nige, yet another sterling effort to herd this bunch of cats. Thanks for doing this again and again.

Congrats AGAIN Alistair and Mark, a very deserving win for both of you. You both had my top votes and I’m happy to see you are sharing the fame!

Congrats on 2nd place RLD and John an excellent song. :)

I lost my list of votes, but I do recall Lyd’s “With You” standing out as well as Zeek’s “Common Ground”.

A great bunch of songs to choose from, it wasn’t easy.

Dottie

Congrats guys :) Alistair and Mark both really made progress and produced some outstanding music this year, so I think the result is fitting.

Zeek deserves a special mention, because I'm sure he would have challenged the top two if he'd only had one song. "On Common Ground" would have scored highly for me in particular, that chorus has been in my head since I first heard it earlier in the year.

As with the 1+1 contest, I hugely enjoyed listening to the soundclick station, and would have been happy to see any of the songs winning.

Thanks Nige for all the time you've given up over the year!

Congrats to the winners, incredible depth in this field of songs, for me it came down to who did the best job of selling their song.

I had Mark and Alistair second and third respectfully with my top vote going to Neal.

"Tumbleweed" was like some long lost and forgotten never released Guess Who track, that was just recently discovered in someones basement. smile.gif You guys nailed it.

Bruce

Congratulations to the winners and all the contestants. Thanks Nigel for taking the time to run this contest! Thank you Kim for your support! You Rock!

I especially look forward to listening to the new batch of great songs that everyone will showcase this year! Keep writing!

jason

I was surprised to see Common Ground so low but I did have 3 songs in there so it's been a great year. I take these contests with a grain of salt anyway--they're fun. Congrats to all--great job raising the bar.

Zeek

I was surprised to see Common Ground so low but I did have 3 songs in there so it's been a great year. I take these contests with a grain of salt anyway--they're fun. Congrats to all--great job raising the bar.

Zeek

Yeah, I'd say that's cause for some pretty powerful bragging rights! :)

I gave two points apiece to :

Tumbleweed (always liked this one!)

First Time Love (it was hard, I liked all three of his, but this was my fave)

A Kiss Me Shade of Red (although I think it'd be better with a smokey man's vocals). :)

I'm gonna add my 3 song scores up and take 3rd place (if no one minds B) )

Zeek

I'm gonna add my 3 song scores up and take 3rd place (if no one minds B) )

Good idea, although if lyD finds out we could be re-writing history ;)

Ooh now there's an idea :D I'm off to start a "Song of the Year scoring discussion" thread!

Well done, EVERYONE! :) So many good songs. ;)

@SatanInventedBras Thank you for your vote. :) Matter of fact, the "proper" demo - done after this worktape was made - has a man's "smokey" vocals. It sounds hot. ;)

Donna

Congrats to all the winners. This seemed like an especially good crop of songs. I also had "A Kiss-Me Shade of Red" in my top 3 list.

jim