SONG CONTEST RULES (OPEN FORMAT):
1. One song entry per Muse member, per month. You must have or share the writing credit for the song. This must be for either the lyric or the music.
2. Place your song in the contest topic thread by clicking the "ADD REPLY" button at the bottom of the page. Include the song name, the lyrics and a functioning link to the audio file where the song may be heard. If it is a collaboration with other Musers, give the exact Muser IDs of all involved in the collaboration. If any professional musicians, writers, producers or arrangers were used, please indicate this in the song credits.
3. When the contest entry deadline passes the Moderator will post a list of all the songs entered into the contest. Simply copy and paste the list of the songs, place your scores next to each song and send that list to the Moderator running the contest for that month via private message(PM). Non-contestant Musers are encouraged to score the songs and contestants must score all the other songs in the contest. Collaborators on song entries may also send in scores. Contestant scorers and collaborator scorers are given an average plug-in score of 3.0 for their own song for purposes of anonymity.
4. Do not rank or compare the songs in the contest when scoring but rather use the following table to give each song a meaningful numerical rating based on it's own merits:
1.0-Excellent-should be included on an album of the best songs from The Muse and is worth a $1 download fee.
3.5-Average - like that song you heard at the open mic that was "just okay".
5.0-Very Poor - Obvious that very little effort was expended to make the song work.
5. The Moderator running the contest will post the full result after the scoring period for each contest is over. The order of songs is determined by the lowest total points. The top two songs (and ties) with the lowest total points qualify for the Song of the Year contest held each January.
6. The monthly song contests are "just for fun" with no real prizes but in order for the contest to provide worthwhile feedback to the artists, Musers are asked to give honest ratings to each song and try not to let personal feelings towards the artists or personal music preferences effect their scores. All contestants and non-contestants are encouraged to be active (at least 5 posts a month) on the other boards on the site (giving feedback, asking questions, posting on other Muser's threads, etc). If a moderator suspects dishonesty in the scoring, cheating or feels a contestant has not been an active member on the site, the moderator will ask the site administrator (Jodi Krangle) for a final determination on the matter.
SONG CONTEST RULES (1+1 FORMAT):
The rules posted above all apply with the following additions:
1. You are not allowed to enter your song if you have paid for the production, mixing, mastering, writing or performance of either the lyric or music. For no part of your song can you have paid anyone money.
2. The philosophy of the 1+1 comp is that it is a barebones showcase of the song itself. One instrument, one voice. Simple effects may be used but keep it stripped down to the bare minimum. Vocally, in addition to singing, you may hum, la-la-la, oo-ooh, or whistle. Instrument use can be typical or creative, but keep it to just one instrument only. Period. IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS REGARDING YOUR POTENTIAL SUBMISSION, PLEASE CONTACT THE CONTEST COORDINATOR AND ASK AHEAD OF TIME!